Monday 11 December 2017

Image result for ealing broadway

I do a lot of shopping in, and around, Ealing Broadway shopping centre. There are a  number of things there to be observed.

Normally, I travel to the centre via the free shuttle bus service provided to me by the university, however, if I need to go on a weekend, I make the journey by walking from my flat. However I get to the centre, I am also shocked as to how suddenly it can become packed with people. As soon as I step off the bus or, if I'm using my legs, once I've past Beehive, I find myself constantly dodging people coming from the opposite direction like I'm playing a game of Frogger.

Some of my favourite people to observe at Ealing Broadway at the market salesmen. Whatever time of day I'm around their stalls, they always seem so energetic and full of life. They are constantly advertising their products to the people walking around. Their voices sound almost sing-song in the way they encourage you to buy their vegetables. They work in a really small, tight island in the town centre, and I find it incredible how they produce such speedy service considering their limited workspace. As someone who grew up in Somerset, looking at these salesmen, it's as if I never left home. The veg sellers seem like they've come straight from the farms they were grown on. As mentioned previously, these men selling greens look exactly like they would do back home, right down to their choice of headwear, the classic flat cap. I have grown accustomed to these guys to speak in a thick West-Country accent, so it is a little off-putting to hear them talking like they're from LUN-DUN.

Whenever you're making your way into Ealing Broadway, make sure you take a detour to say hello to these salesmen. They're a bunch of really cool blokes. Anyone who offers me 2 avocados for £1 is alright in my books.

No comments:

Post a Comment